It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 pm

300+ BHP NA F23 and/or driveshaft question

For discussing general things regarding our cars, tuning etc.
  • Author

Lev

300+ BHP NA F23 and/or driveshaft question

PostMon May 02, 2016 10:08 am

Hello dear All,

just would like to get some general picture how many owners with 300+ BHP z22se Speedsters had any issues with the drive train, eg oil leak at the diff house/driveshaft/joint failure/breakage etc

I had a used F23 short ratio off of a Vectra. Let's assume the Vectra was not tuned and the gearbox run like 200.000Km.

Now i put this in the Speedster in this assumed condition, so there was no any sort of renewing of the gearbox. (no fund currently :( ) so now at the short driveshaft at the gearbox end i can see some oil leakage.

I wonder if this may be due to the highly used F23 box or with this kinda power this may happen even on relatively new (eg less than 70.000Km run) gearboxes?

Torque-wise my car is around 460Nm.
Any good alternatives for stronger drive shafts/joints?

cheers
Lev

smiley

Re: 300+ BHP NA F23 and/or driveshaft question

PostWed May 11, 2016 4:00 pm

The F23 in a speedster (especially used on track) is known for leaking oil via the gearbox breather when getting hot.
Putting in a breather pipe pointing up is recommended to tackle that.

If the oil is coming from between the drivesgaft and the gearbox, then you are unfortunate to have a leaky seal.
That is not a common thing, but it happens.

If what you see is thick smear, it could also be a leaking driveshaft rubber on the gearbox side.
That is also a common issue with speedsters, due to the difficult angle it makes, in combination with heat building up, if you rev up the car a lot. (trackdriving)
It helps to make the cv boot breathe by putting in a wd40 straw on the narrow part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C3Ew9XO0Yc

Lev

Re: 300+ BHP NA F23 and/or driveshaft question

PostTue May 24, 2016 8:38 am

hello Smiley

I have leaky seal at the short shaft and a melted inner cv boot at the long shaft... so seals are now being replaced, hope it will take care of the leak and not something more serious (ie worn off shaft/diff etc) for the boot melting not sure how to address that as it would mean a major pipework and the space is so tight that the spinning clamp fixing the boot is like 0.5mm off the exhaust pipe...maybe will try to heat the pipe a bit and make a depression on it to allow some space for some heat shield..

cheers
Lev

Return to General